Loading...
BREAKING NOW
Apr 3, 2025 4:52 pm
Global Media Network
Supreme Court Blocks Full SNAP Aid Payments Amid Shutdown
The United States Supreme Court has issued an emergency order that blocks the full release of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) payments for November. The decision came late Friday night after the Trump administration appealed a lower court ruling that had directed the government to fully distribute food aid funds despite the ongoing federal shutdown.
The administration had earlier asked a federal appeals court to stop the payments, but the request was denied. Soon after, it turned to the nation’s highest court for immediate intervention. By 9:30 p.m. Eastern Time, the Supreme Court agreed to put the lower court’s order on hold while the case continues.
According to the application filed with the court, the government argued that sending out the full November SNAP aid payments would cause “irreparable harm.” Officials said that once the money is transferred to state agencies and distributed to households, the government would have no legal way to reclaim it. They also warned that making such payments during the shutdown could worsen budget shortfalls for other programs, such as those funding child nutrition.
Attorney General Pam Bondi confirmed the decision on the social media platform X, saying the court had granted the administration’s emergency request. She added that the government’s legal team would “continue to defend and advance President Trump’s agenda.”
Earlier on Friday, US District Judge John J. McConnell Jr. had given the administration a deadline to process and deliver the SNAP aid payments. His order followed the administration’s earlier statement that November benefits would not be issued due to a lack of funding during the shutdown. The ruling required the Department of Agriculture to ensure that states received full funding for the month.
Patrick Penn, deputy undersecretary at the Department of Agriculture, told state officials in a memo that the agency would complete the necessary steps to make funds available temporarily. The memo, sent Friday afternoon, indicated that money for November would be ready despite the ongoing dispute in the courts.
However, even as federal lawyers filed appeals, some states had already started sending out SNAP benefits. In Wisconsin, recipients reported seeing their balances updated overnight. Governor Tony Evers’ spokesperson, Britt Cudaback, confirmed that payments had reached many households, easing immediate food concerns for thousands of low-income residents.
The court battle adds to the uncertainty surrounding the country’s largest food assistance program, which supports nearly one in eight Americans. For weeks, recipients and state agencies have faced confusion about whether benefits would continue during the shutdown. SNAP, which helps low-income families buy groceries, typically provides critical support to households struggling with food insecurity.
Earlier in the week, two separate federal judges had ruled that the government should use its emergency reserve funds to cover at least part of the monthly benefits. The administration initially said it could pay only half of November’s SNAP benefits. Later, it revised that figure to 65%, citing limited available funds. The latest Supreme Court order, however, stops any further payments until a full hearing on the matter is held.
Legal experts say the emergency order does not end the case but freezes the situation while the court reviews whether the government must continue providing aid during the shutdown. The justices did not indicate when they will issue a final ruling.
The dispute highlights the growing strain caused by the federal government shutdown, which has entered another week with no clear resolution. Key social services, including food aid, housing programs, and childcare funding, have been disrupted as agencies run out of contingency funds. Lawmakers remain deadlocked over budget approvals, leaving millions of Americans uncertain about the future of essential benefits.
For now, the Supreme Court’s action means that SNAP aid payments for November will remain partially frozen. While some families may have already received support, others could face delays or reductions as the legal battle continues. State agencies have been instructed to pause new payments until further notice.
As the shutdown drags on, advocates warn that low-income households are most at risk. They urge Congress and the administration to find a quick solution to restore stability to programs that feed millions of Americans every month.
Trending Now
Trending Now
Got a Story to Share?
Join our network of global voices. Whether you're an experienced journalist or a passionate writer with a unique perspective, GMN offers a platform to reach millions.
Stay in the loop with news, offers, and writing opportunities.
Download The App On
©️ 2025 GMN Group LLC - Global Media Network. All rights reserved.